Disclosure: I was provided product at no cost for this post, however all opinions are my own.
Guys, I can’t even tell you how excited I am about this gallery wall! This marks the first day I have hung a picture on one of my walls in about 4 years! After moving so many times, we just never had the chance to hang pictures. I know, you’re probably thinking how in the world did you write a blog without hanging pictures on the wall? Well… I’m sneaky, lol. We lean a lot of things ; ) BUT something that’s even more exciting than this HUGE milestone for our family is that YOU yes YOU have the chance to win $50 worth of Cut it Out Frames!
These frames just make my heart sing! They are so bright and cheery, and exactly what I need on the last leg of this winter! This is actually in my dining room, in that weird awkward room that is like a sitting area/dining room that I showed you in our “before” house tour. After I painted the ugly wood paneling and painted the trim, I decided I wanted this to be just a dining room, so we are in the process of making that happen. I will eventually remove the couch and add some lovely chairs that I plan to reupholster under my new gallery wall! I’m trying to find that perfect bold fabric that will look great under our new yellow/gold picture frames!
The best thing about these Cut it Out Frames is that the come unfinished, and for a DIYer like me, this is great because it allowed me to get the exact look I need! They are made out of MDF so they are very easy to paint! It is suggested that you not use latex paint on these though because it doesn’t dry super hard, but I’m a rule breaker and I went for it. You might remember me sharing on instagram a while back that I found a wrong color gallon of paint at Sherwin Williams for $5 and it just happened to be the perfect accent color for our new dining room, and it so is! So I had to figure out a way to use this latex paint on these frames. Ideally I would have just used some spray paint primer on them, but I live in Wisconsin… aka the north pole where spray painting isn’t allowed. So let’s take a peek at how I painted these frames!
– Unfinished Cut it Out Frames ( I chose the Newport, Grafton, and Oval ) – the 3 smallest ones are actually from Hobby Lobby (just FYI)
– Primer (I used a satin white latex paint with primer already in it) – The same stuff I used on my wood paneling
– Paint in the color of your choice
– Paint Brushes
– Fine Grit Sandpaper
– Brown Acrylic Paint
– Old t-shirt or lint free rag
How to Paint and Hang a Gallery Wall
1. First I painted a coat with my “primer” and let that dry
2. Next I painted the frame in my fabulous color find and let that dry
3. I wanted the frames to look a bit older so I sanded the edges with a fine grit sandpaper
4. Then I added some brown acrylic paint in a cup and watered it down. I’d say about 50% paint 50% water. Then I took an old t shirt and dipped it into the paint/water mixture. I dabbed off the excess and wiped down my frames. I started on the edges where I sanded, then eventually wiped down the whole frame. Work in small sections and as soon as you wipe it on, take a dry portion of your t shirt and wipe it off. I didn’t want it to loo brown, but rather just aged. Rub it off harder in some areas than others to give it a “vintage” look.
5. Once all that is dry, add your pictures. Now it’s time to figure out how to hang them.
6. There are some pretty fancy ways to figure out the arrangement, but I was so excited I just laid them out on the floor until I was happy and my husband and I just started hanging. We had to move about 3 of them, but since it wasn’t a huge gallery wall we just went for it. I kinda wish I would have just taken one huge piece of paper and traced around all the pictures and used that as a guide on the wall, but as we all know I am super impatient! It all worked out in the end though : )
So what do you think? I love the color, the frames, the adorable children in the pictures, it’s just totally working for me and I can’t wait to finish this whole room and show it to you! Just waiting on some weather that works with me being outside with 3 kids all day!
Now you can Enter for a Chance to WIN $50 Worth of Cut it Out Frames
Wait, before you go!
Sign up to receive our posts so you never miss out on furniture plans, home decor ideas, and much much more!