Hello all, today I am sharing a healthy recipe that I personal adore and cannot get enough of, Fresh Spring Rolls. I love how light and delicious these fresh spring rolls are to eat. To top it off, I have a wonderful spicy carrot ginger sauce to compliment all this goodness. When the weather starts to warm up it is nice to have light, but stratifying recipes and this one definitely fits that category. I know you are ready for the recipe, so let’g get wrapping!
If you have never made fresh spring rolls, you are not going to believe how easy they are to make. When you first open your spring roll skins notice they are firm, so we need to soften them with water to make them pliable. When I first made these I was a little surprised myself too! A 9 inch pie plate works perfect for softening the spring roll skins. Fill a pie plate with warm water, I use very warm tap water. Then you are going to roll the skin in water until it is pliable.
Then lay your skin on a clean working surface and add a butter lettuce leaf, rice vermicelli, red peppers, cucumbers, carrots, chopped cabbage, sliced radishes, and chopped cilantro. You may use any filling you desire, but this is what I like in my fresh spring rolls. Next, we are going to tuck and roll once and then fold in each side. Then tuck and roll again until have a finished fresh spring roll ready to be dipped in yummy spicy carrot ginger sauce!
- butter lettuce leaves
- rice vermicelli, cooked
- red peppers
- chopped cabbage, purple and green
- radishes, sliced
- cilantro, finely chopped
- Spring Roll Skins
- 1 cup of petite sweet carrots
- ⅔ cup water
- 2 TBSP rice vinegar
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated finely
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- ¼ red pepper flakes, or to taste
- First prepare all vegetables before assembling.
- Cut red peppers, cucumbers, and carrots in a matchstick form.
- Chop cabbage and finely chop cilantro.
- Cook rice vermicelli according to the directions.
- Fill a 9 inch pie plate with warm water, I use hot tap water.
- Then roll the skin in water until it is pliable.
- Then lay your spring roll skin on a clean working surface.
- Add a butter lettuce leaf, rice vermicelli, red peppers, cucumbers, carrots, chopped cabbage, sliced radishes, and chopped cilantro.
- Next, tuck and roll once and then fold in each side.
- Then tuck and roll again until have a finished fresh spring roll ready to be dipped in yummy spicy carrot ginger sauce!
- Lay finished spring rolls on wax paper for easy removal.
- In a small saute pan add the carrots and water.
- Bring carrots to a simmer and cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- In a blender add carrots (including the water they cooked in), rice vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, fresh grated ginger, salt and pepper, and sugar.
- Blend until well combined.
- Pour in a serving a dish and stir in ¼ tsp red pepper flakes. Allow the sauce to completely cool, then place in the refrigerator until chilled.
- Serve with Fresh Spring Rolls and enjoy!
If you enjoyed this recipe you might be interested in these yummy oven baked egg rolls!