For the Chicken:
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast tenders
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground Pepper
- 2 tsp garlic and herb seasoning (I use McCormick)
- 3 TBS Olive Oil
- 2 TBS Balsamic Vinegar
For the Soup:
- 6 TBS butter
- 1/4 cup + 1/2 TBS all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup vegetable or chicken broth (low sodium)
- 1/8 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 TBS olive oil, for sauteing
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 7 1/4 cups of vegetable or chicken broth (low sodium)
- 1 TBS dried parsley flakes
- 2 cups wild rice, cooked
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper (or to taste)
- In a small bowl mix 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 2 tsp garlic and herb seasoning, 3 TBS olive oil, and 2 TBS balsamic vinegar. Add chicken tenders and stir until chicken is evenly coated. Let chicken tenders marinate for 10-15 minutes. Heat grill to 400 degrees and grill chicken tenders until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Turn chicken half way through. Cut into bit size pieces and set aside.
- Then in a medium sauce pan melt butter over medium-low heat. Once butter is melted add flour and whisk until creamy. Next, slowly whisk in 1 cup of milk and 3/4 cup of broth and increase heat to medium, whisk until thickened (about 4 minutes) Remove from heat and add sour cream, garlic powder, saltand pepper, set aside.
- Next, heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add chopped shallots, mushrooms, celery, and carrot. Saute vegetables for 5 minutes. Now add remaining broth and cream mixture, simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Mix in wild rice, grilled chicken, and dried parsley, add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
This is a brothy soup, however, if you want this to be a more hearty soup the rice can easily be increased to 3 cups and the chicken can also be increased to your liking.