For the Grilled Red Potato Salad
- 2 1/2 pounds of red potatoes, washed and scrubbed
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 TBSP parsley, chopped
- 1 TBSP butter, cut into 4 sections
- 9 slices crispy turkey bacon, chopped
- 1 TBSP fresh chives, chopped
For the Creamy Mustard Dressing
- 2 TBSP French’s Yellow Mustard
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 2–3 TBSP tarragon vinegar, (I use 3)
- 2 pinches kosher salt
- pepper to taste
- First, fire up your grill! I have a natural gas grill and I heat mine up to about 400 degress F.
- First I grill my bacon. If you have never grilled bacon it is super easy and it does not leave your house with a nice bacon smell! I used a high quality turkey bacon for this recipe, but you can use real bacon if you wish, I am not judging ;)
- Lay the bacon slices on a piece of heavy duty foil and place on a heated grill.
- Close the lid and check often. Flip the bacon slices as needed and cook to your desired crispiness.
- Then cut 2 and 1/2 pounds of red potatoes in chunks.
- I cut them in half and then in half again. Next, I cut the slices into 3 sections and larger ones into 4 sections.
- After cutting the potatoes, finely chop 3 TBSP of fresh parsley. Next, mince 2 garlic cloves and chop 1/4 cup of shallots.
- While you have the cutting board out, go ahead and chop up that yummy bacon, then set aside. Now place a large piece of heavy duty foil across your cutting board.
- Place the red potatoes first, then evenly sprinkle with parsley, garlic, and onion.
- Then place a 1 TBSP of butter that has been divided into 4 sections across the top of the potatoes.
- Lastly, dust the top with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Now you are going to wrap this baby up. Lay a piece of foil on top creating a foil pocket. Close all the sides and then cover top and bottom again with foil. So the potatoes are wrapped in two layers of foil.
- Now it is ready for the grill! Place the potatoes on the grill for about 40 minutes or until the potatoes are soft enough to stick a fork through, turn half way through.
- While the potatoes are cooking, it is time to make the Creamy Mustard Dressing.
- Combine mustard, mayo, garlic powder, olive oil, tarragon vinegar, a pinch of salt, and pepper to taste. I mixed my dressing in the blender, but you can also mix it in a bowl.
- Once the potatoes are ready, slice the foil and allow the potatoes to cool a bit before assembling the salad.
- Now, you are ready to combine all the ingredients together. In a large mixing bowl, combine the grilled potatoes, dressing, bacon (leave a little bacon for a garnish for the top of the potato salad), fresh chives, and extra kosher salt and pepper to taste!
- Gently toss to coat and place the potato salad in a severing dish and garnish with extra crispy bacon and fresh parsley.