Good Morning, Everyone! Boy do I have a treat for you today, Hot Chocolate Cupcakes with a Peppermint Marshmallow Frosting. This is a new recipe I have been working on just for you and I think I nailed it! I won’t mention how many cupcakes my family had to try before they were blog worthy, but all my hard work finally paid off. The final outcome is absolutely delicious. The chocolate cupcakes are very moist and yummy and the peppermint marshmallow frosting puts the name to this cupcake. It has the most subtle hint of peppermint and the marshmallow texture will lure you in for more! These fun cupcakes are a wonderful choice for any winter gathering and I am very excited to share this recipe with you, so let’s get started!
Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
- ½ cup of butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 egg white
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅛ tsp cream of tarter
- pinch of salt
- 3 TBSP water
- ½ cup Jet-Puffed peppermint mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Next, cream butter and sugar.
- Add cocoa powder, boiling water, and vanilla to the cream mixture and mix well.
- Then add eggs one at a time.
- In a small mixing bowl add all dry ingredients and combine well.
- Alternate dry ingredients and sour cream to the chocolate mixture.
- Combine all ingredients, but don't over mix. The batter will be thick.
- Pour batter into cupcake holders and fill ½ of the way full. I use an ice cream scoop to measure out my batter and it works perfectly.
- Cook for 25 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes completely before icing.
- In a double broiler add 1½ inches of water. If you do not have a double broiler you can make one by nesting a medium size stainless still bowl over a medium size sauce pan.
- In the top boiler add egg white, granulated sugar, cream of tarter, pinch of salt, and water.
- Combine ingredients with a whisk and cook over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 135 degrees F, or until the mixture is hot to the touch (about 5 minutes), whisk often.
- Then pour mixture into a stand mixer and add marshmallows. With the whisk attachment mix on low and increase to high for about 5 minutes or until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- If you do not have a stand mixer you can use a hand mixer, please note the mixing time will increase.
- Now you are ready to ice your hot chocolate cupcakes.
- Garnish each cupcakes with a peppermint mini marshmallow and a festive paper straw (cut each straw in half).
If you are looking for that fun, festive peppermint serving tray click here!
While you are here, check out these yummy Christmas Chocolate Spoons, a merry addition to a warm glass of milk or a cup of hot cocoa!