These Sausage and Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash are the perfect appetizer for the holidays or get together, sure to leave your taste buds singing!
- 3 Acorn Squash, halved
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 lb Ground Sausage
- 1 Small Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Large Celery Stalks, finely chopped
- 2 Apples, diced
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 cup Parmasean Cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a sharp knife cut off each end of the acorn squash removing as little as possible, then cut in half.
- Spoon out seeds.
- Brush olive oil inside and on top of Acorn Squash.
- Sprinkle Salt and Pepper over Acorn Squash to taste.
- Bake for 40 minutes to an hour depending on size of your squash until tender and you can pierce with a fork, but still holding it’s shape.
- While the squash is baking begin sautéing the sausage for about 5 minutes, drain and pat dry with a paper towel to remove as much grease as possible, but don’t discard grease in the pan.
- Using the grease from the sausage add your onions and celery to the pan and sauté for another 2-3 minutes until it starts to brown. (add olive oil if necessary)
- Add apples and sauté for another 2 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in sage and bread crumbs.
- Add 3/4 cup parmesan cheese and stir until cheese begins to melt. Set aside.
- Once squash has finished baking and reached desired tenderness spoon in meat mixture until the squash is filled.
- Return to the oven and bake an additional 15-20 minutes depending on size of squash.
- Remove from oven and top with remaining parmesan cheese.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Squash, Stuffed