- 8 small potatoes
- 1/2 cup milk (add more if needed)
- 1/3 cup of butter or refined coconut oil
- 1/2 cup of mild cheddar (I use red wax mild cheddar)
- 1 tsp garlic & herb seasoning (I use McCormick)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 TBSP fresh chopped chives
- Peel and rinse potatoes. If your potatoes are not the same size when peeling, cut them until they are approximately the same size so they all cook evenly.
- Add potatoes to a large stock pot and add just enough water to cover the potatoes.
- Gently boil potatoes until you are able to easily poke a fork through them.
- Then drain potatoes in a colander.
- Transfer the potatoes to a mixing bowl and add butter, cheese, garlic and herb, salt, pepper, and chives.
- With a potato masher, mash potatoes while slowly pouring in the milk. Add a little milk at a time. You may need more or less depending on the size of your potatoes. Stir potatoes to combine well.
If you have larger potatoes you may need to add a bit more milk, butter, cheese, and seasonings.Tip: Ever wonder how many potatoes to fix for your family or guests? Peel approximately one potato per person and you should always have enough potatoes for your dinner. I usually add a few extra potatoes for people who want seconds or leftovers.