If you are looking for a family tradition, this Chicken and Cornbread Dressing will leave you satisfied for years! This recipe is full of love for this year
- 6 slices of day old bread
- 1 pan or skillet of cornbread (see recipe below)
- 4 shallots, finely chopped (or 1 small purple onion)
- 2 stalks celery,finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of butter (or olive oil)
- 4 cups shredded chicken (see notes below)
- 2–3 boiled eggs (see notes below)
- 3 raw eggs, slightly beaten
- 3/4 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 2 TBSP dried parsley
- 1 tsp kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 3 cups of vegetable broth or chicken broth (low sodium)
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 TBSP granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk
For the Cornbread
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add all ingredients for the cornbread in a medium mixing bowl, and stir just until all ingredients are combined well.
- Then pour batter into a 8X8 greased pan.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until the top of the cornbread is firm to the touch.
For the chicken and dressing
- Saute shallots, celery, and red pepper in butter for about 5-7 minutes. Then set aside.
- Next toast 6 slices of day old bread.
- Remove crust and tear into bit size pieces and place into a large mixing bowl
- Once the cornbread is cool enough, crumble the cornbread into the large bowl with the toasted bread.
- Next, add sauteed vegetables to the large mixing bowl.
- Now, mash boiled eggs with a fork until fluffy. Then add mashed eggs to the large mixing bowl.
- Add shredded chicken and all seasonings to the mixture.
- Evenly pour the slightly beaten eggs over the mixture.
- Gently combine all ingredients. I use my both my hands gently folding all ingredients together.
- In a 9 X 13 baking casserole dish add the chicken and dressing, spread the mixture evenly.
- Evenly pour 3 cups of broth over the mixture in the baking dish.
- Cover with foil and cook at 350 degrees and cook for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
Tips on shredded chicken- boil a whole chicken in a large pot, de-bone, and reserve broth, or boil 4 chicken breasts in already made broth. Another way to prepare shredded chicken is to place chicken in the slow cooker for 3 hours on high with a cup of broth. All ways work great, it just depends on how much time you have on your hands! Tip on boiling eggs- gently place eggs into a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring water to a boil, then turn off the heat and cover eggs for an additional 10-15 minutes. Drain water and then run eggs under cold water. Once the eggs are cool to the touch, peel the eggs shells or store them in the refrigerator overnight.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: thanksgiving, dressing, chicken and dressing, casserole, cornbread