Today I am sharing a cherished family recipe, Chicken and Cornbread Dressing. This recipe has been made every Thanksgiving since I was little. Chicken and Cornbread Dressing is loved by all of our family and friends and I am honored to share this special recipe with you today! When making this recipe be patient and let the love flow through your cooking. Homemade dressing takes time, but the end result with be a satisfyingly one!
Chicken and Cornbread Dressing Recipe
- 6 slices of day old bread
- 1 pan of cornbread (see recipe below)
- 4 shallots, finely chopped (or 1 small purple onion)
- 2 stalks celery,finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- ½ cup of butter (or olive oil)
- 4 cups shredded chicken (see notes below)
- 2-3 boiled eggs (see notes below)
- 3 raw eggs, slightly beaten
- ¾ tsp poultry seasoning
- ½ tsp sage
- 2 TBSP dried parsley
- 1 tsp kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp ground pepper (or to taste)
- 3 cups of vegetable broth or chicken broth (low sodium)
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 TBSP granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add all ingredients for the cornbread in a medium mixing bowl, and stir just until all ingredients are combined well.
- Then pour batter into a 8X8 greased pan.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until the top of the cornbread is firm to the touch.
- Saute shallots, celery, and red pepper in butter for about 5-7 minutes. Then set aside.
- Next toast 6 slices of day old bread.
- Remove crust and tear into bit size pieces and place into a large mixing bowl
- Once the cornbread is cool enough, crumble the cornbread into the large bowl with the toasted bread.
- Next, add sauteed vegetables to the large mixing bowl.
- Now, mash boiled eggs with a fork until fluffy. Then add mashed eggs to the large mixing bowl.
- Add shredded chicken and all seasonings to the mixture.
- Evenly pour the slightly beaten eggs over the mixture.
- Gently combine all ingredients. I use my both my hands gently folding all ingredients together.
- In a 9 X 13 baking dish add the chicken and dressing, spread the mixture evenly.
- Evenly pour 3 cups of broth over the mixture.
- Cover with foil and cook at 350 degrees and cook for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
You mustn’t forget the cranberry sauce when serving this delicious Thanksgiving side dish!
Looking for more holiday recipes?
Are you new here? Let’s get to know each other!