Yields approximently 30 cupcakes
For Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 TBSP hot water
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup coca powder
- 2 TBSP red food coloring
- 1 cup sour cream
For Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1–8 oz package of cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups powder sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of butter, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together butter and sugars until fluffy.
- Next mix in one egg at a time and add vanilla.
- In a small bowl stir together warm water and baking soda then add to the sugar mixture.
- Stir in flour and coca powder until combined.
- Next add food coloring and sour cream and blend well.
- Finally pour batter into cupcake holders with an ice cream scoop. Using an ice cream scoop is an excellent measurement for cupcake batter. If you do not have an ice cream scoop fill cupcake holders about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way full of batter.
- Cook for about 20-25 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Cooking times will vary from using gas or electric stoves.
- Place cupcakes on a cooling rack and allow them to completely cool before icing.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Combine Cream Cheese, butter, and vanilla in a mixing bowl and mix until combined.
- Then slowly shift the powdered sugar and continue mixing until thick and fluffy.
- Set mixture in the fridge for at least a hour or more to allow the icing to set.