Today I am sharing a yummy recipe for Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken & Homemade Cole Slaw. This BBQ sauce has the unique addition of fall spices and is sure to be a hit with the whole family. Even my youngest adores this meal and especially when I serve the BBQ Shredded Chicken on slider buns, which makes it just right for his little hands. Not only do slider buns make it fun for little ones, they also make great game day appetizers! I know you are ready for the recipe, so let’s get cooking…
- 1 cup of ketchup (I use organic)
- 2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup broth (I use vegetable)
- 1 TBSP yellow mustard
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ⅛ tsp all spice
- ⅛ cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp of garlic powder
- 3 lemon slices, with the skin and seeds removed
- 1 whole shallot, quartered
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 stalk of celery
- 1 medium carrot
- 6 TBSP mayo
- 6 TBSP plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 tsp granulated sugar (I used sugar in the raw)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- pepper to taste
- 8 cups or 16 oz package of shredded cabbage
- Slider Buns
- Place all ingredients in a small mixing bowl, except the chicken breast. Whisk all ingredients together and combine well.
- Then add the chicken breast to the slow cooker and pour the BBQ Sauce over the chicken.
- Next, cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours. The internal temperature of the chicken should exceed 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Be sure to remove the lemon rind and shallots before shredding the chicken.
- Lastly, shred chicken with a fork and butter knife.
- Use a slotted spoon for serving.
- In a medium mixing bowl shred the celery stalk and carrot with a vegetable peeler. Then add cabbage.
- Next, in a small bowl whisk mayo, Greek yogurt, mustard, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Combine all ingredients.
- Pour the creamy dressing over the shredded cabbage, carrots, and celery and toss to coat.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
If you are looking to spice up your cole slaw check out my recipe for Tomatillo Avocado Slaw! Which is absolutely fabulous on top of Shredded BBQ Chicken Sliders!
Want more tips from Ashley?
Subscribe to receive home decor ideas, furniture plans, and DIY tips delivered to your inbox!