Today I am working on my kitchen and it is a disaster! If you follow me on instagram then you have probably seen some of my progress (or what I like to call it). My whole house is in a disarray! Just picture: things torn apart, and tools everywhere. With that being said, let’s talk about a few things you should know in case you decide to embark on a similar journey! I have to tell you though, some of the chaos revolves around the fact that I have three little kids.
Survive the process of redoing a kitchen!
1. Prepare to eat out. No matter how much of a super mom you are, you will NOT want to cook. I promise! Go to subway, give your kids McDonalds, eat unhealthy. Not doing these things could result in broken dishes, spilled messes, crying children, and a grouchy husband.
2. Book a massage. You will need it. You are spending days painting cabinets. Enough said!
3. Don’t start tearing things apart in an already messy kitchen or it could end up like this. (no need to watermark this picture… if someone tries to steal it, they need it more than me, haha)
But who are we kidding… it’s going to look like that no matter what!
4. You will at some point try to cut corners. DON’T DO IT! JUST SAY NO! You will be so grateful afterwards. (not that I’m done, but so far I’m happy I have told myself not to cut corners)
5. Probably not the best idea to build a playset AND redo a kitchen at the same time. Looking back to Friday I’m not exactly sure what I was thinking because this was my crazy idea! DIY a.d.d. maybe??
6. Buy baby gates. Our baby is everywhere and he just can’t go in the kitchen. This makes for a whiny baby who just wants to crawl, and a more difficult time for you!
7. Wait until a day you can open all your windows so you can use oil based primer – you will thank me later. ; )
8. If you are OCD…. just walk away. You won’t be able to handle the chaos that sits on your countertops. I am definitely not one of those people that HAS to have my kitchen clean before I can do anything else and this is DRIVING.ME.CRAZY I just want the kitchen clean before I do anything else. SO if you are OCD be afraid. If you aren’t OCD, you will be soon!
9. Don’t use your favorite and most expensive paint brush in oil based primer. It will likely make you cry when you are ready to put on your top coat and realize you have no way to clean out your oh so perfect brush! (because I don’t clean out brushes with oil based paint….)
10. The most important of all… it is A-O.K. to throw a fit like a small child on your floor. Just lay down on your back, look at the ceiling, and kick your feet. Embrace those feelings. Your husband might look at you all concerned, but either A) he will stop building the playset and come check on you B) hold you and tell you that everything is ganna be alright or C) call the doctor… either way you are going to get some help!
Well… those are the tips I have for you today, and also the reason I don’t have any pretty pictures of finished projects to share with you. I hope I didn’t scare you too bad. I would go through it all again just based on the small little portion I have finished.
Follow me on Instagram (@cherishedbliss) to see this crazy journey! #CBKitchenMakeover
Wanna know some of the things that inspire me? Come pin with me!
To see the kitchen progress you can see our current Industrial Farmhouse Kitchen here
and go back in time a little to our first set of renovations here: