Hello everyone, I hope you are all having a wonderful day! Today I am so excited to share my recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup! Winter is still here, the temps are chilly, and nothing warms you up like a comforting, warm bowl of soup. This soup has a wonderful Mexican flare that is sure to bring a fiesta to the dinner table. Don’t forget to garnish with your favorite tortilla chips for a pleasing dinner everyone will love. I know your ready for the recipe, so let’s get cooking!Print
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken boneless, skinless chicken breast (3 cups of shredded chicken)
- additional broth, to cover the chicken
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- a small handful of shallots or a small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups of veggie or chicken broth , low sodium (may add more broth if needed)
- 2 tsp of chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp of oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 2 cans of black beans (low sodium)
- 1– 4 oz can of green chilies
- 16 oz sweet frozen corn
- 2 TBSP finely chopped cilantro (or to taste)
- shredded colby jack cheese
- chopped green onions
- chopped cilantro
- crushed tortilla chips
- dollop of sour cream
- cubed avocados pieces
How to cook shredded chicken
- In a medium sauce pan add 1 1/2 pounds of chicken breast.
- Cover chicken with additional chicken or veggie broth.
- Season chicken and broth with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until falling apart tender.
- When chicken is cooled, shred chicken and set aside
For the soup
- In a large dutch oven or stock pot heat olive oil over medium – medium low heat.
- Add minced garlic and chopped onions.
- Saute for 3 minutes, adjusting heat if needed.
- Next, add crushed tomatoes, 4 cups of broth, all seasoning, black beans, green chilies, frozen corn, chopped cilantro, and shredded chicken.
- Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for 10 – 15 minutes, then remove from heat. Let the soup sit until cool enough to serve.
- Serve warm and garnish with shredded cheese, chopped green onions, chopped cilantro, tortilla chips, and sour cream.
If you enjoyed this Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe then you might be interested in these warm soups! Click on the picture for the full recipe.