One of the best parts of summer is picking sweet, fresh basil from my garden. I adore having a garden; not only because it offers delicious perks, but it brings peace beyond understanding. If you are looking for an easy herb to grow, basil is your plant. You can grow basil in the ground or in a medium sized planting pot. With lots of sun, it will be happy and you will be sweetly rewarded. Nothing says summer like Classic Basil Pesto, so let’s get started.
Classic Basil Pesto only requires a few fresh ingredients. I recommend using extra virgin olive oil and a high quality grated Parmesan cheese, for the best tasting pesto.
Place 2 TBSP of extra virgin olive oil to the side and add all other ingredients to the food processor or high rpm blender.
Process the ingredients on low and continue to high as you slowly add the remaining amount of olive oil. Stop to scrape down the sides as needed. Process for a few minutes or until the ingredients create a smooth pesto.
Enjoy this delicious classic basil pesto on pasta, toasted baguette slices topped with fresh diced tomatoes, or on my Pesto Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich! Recipe coming tomorrow, so stay tuned :)
- 3 cups fresh basil, packed
- ⅓ cup + 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup grated parmesan, high quality
- kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- Place 2 TBSP of extra virgin olive oil to the side.
- Add all other ingredients to the food processor or high rpm blender.
- Process the ingredients on low and continue to high as you slowly add the remaining amount of olive oil. Stop to scrape down the sides. Process for a few minutes until the ingredients create a creamy and smooth pesto.
- Fresh Basil Pesto will last 5-7 days in the refrigerator, or freeze up to 4 months.