The Big Game is right around corner and some of you might be in need of a few appetizer ideas. Well, I have one for you to try, Sweet Chili Meatball! I will be honest my family is not big on T.V. sports…I know that was probably hard for some of you to hear. When my sister first moved to Wisconsin she would call me from the grocery store just to tell me how they played the Packer’s games over the intercom for everyone to hear, that is some pretty loyal fans.
But these sweet chili meatballs are not just a great game appetizer, they are fabulous for any get together. I will have to say my family is quite fond of this recipe. My six year old even threw a fit on the floor one time because we ran out. I guess he didn’t get his so called “fair share”. With that said, I know you are ready for the recipe, so let’s get cooking.
How about those meatballs?!Print
For the meatballs: makes approximately 30
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 6 green onions, finely chopped including the green parts
- 2 TBS Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder or (4 garlic gloves minced)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup of plain bread crumbs (see instructions below)
For the plain bread crumbs:
- 4 slices of toast
For the sauce:
- 1–12 oz jar Chili Sauce
- 1– 15.5 oz Low Sugar Concord Grape Jelly
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl add ground beef, green onions, worcestershire sauce,salt and pepper, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, chili powder, eggs, and bread crumbs (see how to make below).
- Mix all ingredients well, and then shape into evenly sized meatballs (golf ball size) .
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and place meatballs in even rows.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until the internal temperature of the meatballs reach 165 degrees F.
- When your meatballs are ready to come out of the oven you will notice the fat that settled around the meatballs. Simply scrape the fat off with a spoon before transferring them in the sauce.
How to make homemade bread crumbs:
- Toast bread, tear into pieces, and place in a high rpm blender or food processor. Blend or pulse until you have bread crumbs, then pour bread crumbs into meat mixture.
Making the sauce:
- While your meatballs are in the oven add chili sauce and grape jelly to a large cooking skillet or crock pot and combine well. If placing meatballs in a crock pot heat sauce on high and adjust temperature to warm once heated. If heating sauce on the stove top, heat sauce on low.
- When your meatballs are ready transfer them into the sauce and coat the meatballs evenly.
- Serve warm and Enjoy!
Just in case you are interested in what the meat balls should look like before entering the oven, here is a snap shot for you to compare!
Looking for more recipes to serve your hungry crowd, you might be interested in these! Click on the picture for the full recipe.