Vote for the Finale in So You Think You’re Crafty
I am so excited that I will be doing a blog swap this week… my first one ever : ) But in order to shorten my tutorial I am going to show you how to insert a zipper into a seam.
Now, before you get too excited, this is my first zipper insertion (that just sounds kinda funny) but I figured I would just show you how I did it. And although it might not be correct, it certainly works for those simple around the house things where you think to yourself “it would be so much easier if I had a zipper here”. So, much like how I thought my first sewing project should be my daughter’s crib bedding (which you can see here), I decided I would just sew a zipper! I learn by trial and error – probably more error than anything…. Let’s not even talk about how much fabric I have
So, here is how I did it. (click images to make larger)
1. Sew up the seam with a basting stitch using a 1/2″ seam allowance.
2. Once that is done lay the fabric right side down and press open the seam.
3. Now, center the zipper on the seam, with the zipper pull down, and pin in place. Your zipper should match up with the pressed seam (assuming of course your zipper is 1/2″ wide).
4. Make sure your bobbin thread is the color you want on the outside of your fabric, because it will show!
Using your zipper foot sew down the side of the zipper getting as close to the teeth as you can. Pivot at the bottom and sew back up the other side. (make sure and backstitch where necessary)
5. Turn your fabric over and yes, your zipper is under there. You will need to take a seam ripper and open up the seam revealing your zipper! (a wonderful tip for Sew Kate Sew, place pins where you want to start and stop opening the seam so you don’t rip too far… see photo above!)
Audra @ The Kurtz Corner says
Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing!
Virginia Hammer says
Thank you for this great simple tutorial. I made my first zippered cushion yesterday, thanks to your help. It was so much easier than I thought it would be.
We’ve gathered seven of the hottest headphones out there to help you narrow your search and identify your ideal pair of headphones.
There are so many options available, differing in quality, affordability, and design. Whether you need headphones for studying, exercising, or just lounging around, you want a pair that fits comfortably and delivers high-definition sound.