Soup season has arrived and I have a delicious soup recipe that I am thrilled for you to try. This grilled chicken and wild rice soup is creamy, yet smooth, and has the perfect broth to rice ratio. In the past, I have often prepared a boiled chicken and wild rice soup in which the rice absorbs all of the broth, resulting in a thick mush. Unlike boiled chicken, grilled chicken enhances all of the flavors that are included in this soup and gives the soup a pleasant aroma that warms the soul without the mush. This charming bowl of soup is sure to bring the whole family to the table. I know you are ready for the recipe, so let’s get started…
Grilled Chicken and Wild Rice SoupPrint
Grilled Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
- Yield: 6 1x
For the Chicken:
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast tenders
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground Pepper
- 2 tsp garlic and herb seasoning (I use McCormick)
- 3 TBS Olive Oil
- 2 TBS Balsamic Vinegar
For the Soup:
- 6 TBS butter
- 1/4 cup + 1/2 TBS all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup vegetable or chicken broth (low sodium)
- 1/8 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 TBS olive oil, for sauteing
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 7 1/4 cups of vegetable or chicken broth (low sodium)
- 1 TBS dried parsley flakes
- 2 cups wild rice, cooked
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper (or to taste)
- In a small bowl mix 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 2 tsp garlic and herb seasoning, 3 TBS olive oil, and 2 TBS balsamic vinegar. Add chicken tenders and stir until chicken is evenly coated. Let chicken tenders marinate for 10-15 minutes. Heat grill to 400 degrees and grill chicken tenders until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Turn chicken half way through. Cut into bit size pieces and set aside.
- Then in a medium sauce pan melt butter over medium-low heat. Once butter is melted add flour and whisk until creamy. Next, slowly whisk in 1 cup of milk and 3/4 cup of broth and increase heat to medium, whisk until thickened (about 4 minutes) Remove from heat and add sour cream, garlic powder, saltand pepper, set aside.
- Next, heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add chopped shallots, mushrooms, celery, and carrot. Saute vegetables for 5 minutes. Now add remaining broth and cream mixture, simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Mix in wild rice, grilled chicken, and dried parsley, add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
This is a brothy soup, however, if you want this to be a more hearty soup the rice can easily be increased to 3 cups and the chicken can also be increased to your liking.
Looking for more great recipes? Check out our Easy Chicken and Dumplings
Great idea to use grilled chicken for more flavor. I love wild rice and haven’t had it in so long. Beautiful bowl of soup, Audra. Thank you for sharing!
Thank you for having me and thank you for stopping by!
Debbie @ Deliciously Inspired says
Hi Ashley – Your soup looks wonderful. I found you on a Lovely Ladies Linky Party. I’m a new follower. If you have a minute – come visit me. Have a sweet day and thanks for sharing.
Thank you! So glad to have you here :)
Duck life says
Grilled chicken and wild rice soup are very attractive, the food is very good for health.