Hi everyone, I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday! I am so excited to kick off Hanukkah with a new latke recipe. Sweet Potato Latkes served with a Cranberry Jalapeno Sour Cream Dip is a fresh, seasonal spin on your traditional latke recipes. The grated sweet potatoes are sweetened with a light dusting of brown sugar and seasoned with a touch of cinnamon and the Cranberry Jalapeno Dip adds a delicious and spicy twist.
Celebrating Hanukkah is not only about the yummy food, but remembering the miracles of long ago. Hanukkah is an unforgettable story of how the oil miraculously burned for eight days after the victorious Maccabees won the battle against the Greeks and rededicated the holy Temple in Jerusalem. The oil latkes are fried in represent the long lasting oil that burned in the menorah for a wondrous eight days. If you have not had a chance to read the Hanukkah story I challenge you to take a moment and read another miracle of Emmanuel.
I can’t wait to share this wonderful recipe with you, so let’s get started. Happy Hanukkah!
Sweet Potato Latkes RecipePrint
For the Sweet Potatoes Latkes
- 6 cups of grated sweet potatoes (about 2–3 sweet potatoes)
- 2 TBSP light brown sugar
- 5 TBSP flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- oil, for frying
For the Cranberry Jalapeno Sour Cream Dip
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1/4 cup of prepared whole cranberry sauce, see my recipe here
- 2 TBSP Jalapeno Pepper Jelly
- Wash, peel, and grate potatoes.
- In a large bowl, add grated potatoes, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and the egg.
- Mix well by tossing with tongs ensuring the shredded potatoes are completely covered with the flour, egg, and seasonings.
- Heat 1/2 inch of oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. Heat oil until it is very hot, but not smoking!
- Carefully drop the shredded potatoes by heaping tablespoonful’s into hot oil. Adjust heat as needed.
- Press on the latkes as they are frying to create a pancake like appearance. Brown on both sides and then remove the latkes with a slotted spoon.
- Drain latkes on absorbent paper.
- Serve immediately or keep latkes in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- Serve with Cranberry Jalapeno Sour Cream Dip, recipe below
Cranberry Jalapeno Sour Cream Dip
- In a small mixing bowl add sour cream, cranberry sauce, and jalapeno pepper jelly and combine well.
- Serve with Sweet Potato Latkes
This recipe yields 17 latkes.