This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Frigidaire and Lowe’s. All opinions are my 100% my own.
Did you know you can cook more than just rice in a rice cooker? It’s true. There are many different foods to cook in one: rice, oatmeal, soup, cakes, stews and even quinoa. This is a recipe that is quick and easy without sacrificing the health of your meal! In my experience quinoa can be difficult to master. The texture is the most common reason people don’t like it, but with this Frigidaire Professional Rice Cooker I was able to get the perfect mix of soft and crunchy for this recipe!
To make this chicken fried quinoa I started by cooking quinoa in the Frigidaire Professional Rice Cooker. Quinoa does cook a little faster than rice, so when I made this quinoa I put it in the Rice Cooker following the manufacturer’s instructions, but I did need to monitor the cook time. I put it on a quick cook setting and checked it at 15 minutes which I have seen as a suggested time setting, but mine still wasn’t done so I left it in there another 5-10 minutes. You want to cook it until the liquid is fully absorbed. Traditionally for chicken fried rice I would use day old rice to obtain the correct texture, so I did this with my quinoa. I made it the night before, and with this rice cooker it is super easy to clean up, you just have to wash the small inner bowl and you’re done! I refrigerated it in my Frigidaire Professional French Door Refrigerator, and it will be ready to go whenever it’s the next meal time!
First I cooked my eggs omelette style with the PowerPlus burner on my Frigidaire Professional Gas Range, and set aside. Next I wanted to get a quick sauté on my chicken to help keep it from drying out, so I sautéed it on a high heat with the PowerPlus burner as well. All that’s left is to add the ingredients as you go. It doesn’t take long at all, making this a great option for those busy nights!
Chicken Fried Quinoa
Let’s get cooking!Print
- 3 Eggs
- 1.5 – 2 lbs chicken, cut into small chunks
- Sesame Oil (for chicken)
- 2–3 TBSP olive oil
- 4 cups cooked quinoa (day old is best)
- salt and pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4–6 green onions
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- Prepare your Quinoa in a Rice Cooker the day before. This allows for the correct texture in your final dish. I replaced the water with chicken broth in my rice cooker
- Whisk 3 eggs seasoned with salt and pepper to taste. Cook eggs omelette style over medium low heat. Cut into small cubes and set aside
- In a medium bowl, toss chicken with Sesame Oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat oil over high heat in a large frying pan, add chicken and stir fry for approximately 2 minutes or until light golden brown
- Add onion and garlic to pan and sauté until onions are soft. About 3-4 more minutes
- Stir in green onions
- Add quinoa to pan and evenly distribute, then let cook 2 minutes
- Continue to stir fry
- Add 1/3 bag of frozen peas and carrots, stir
- Add soy sauce and mix together.
- Once peas and carrots are fully warmed, cover with foil and let sit for 2 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
Be sure and check out the features of the Frigidaire Professional line for all your cooking needs!