As promised I am back today with a yummy recipe for The Ultimate Taco Salad with a Creamy Avocado Dressing. This recipe is favored by all my family, even my six year old. This meal is a light, but satisfying choice and perfect for watching those waistlines with out losing flavor. Combining avocado and Greek yogurt provides a healthy, creamy alternative than your usually mayo or sour cream based dressings. My family would of not even known the yogurt was in the dressing if I didn’t tell them. Shhhh, my thirteen year old boy may or may not know about the yogurt alternative ;) And don’t forget your Warm Black Bean and Corn Salsa to top it off!
Taco Salad Recipe
I know you are ready for the recipe, so let’s get cooking!
- 1 lbs ground beef
- 3 green onions, finely chopped including the green parts
- 2 TBSP finely chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ of a large avocado, peeled and cubed
- ½ cup cilantro, loosely packed
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 1 TBSP chopped shallots
- ½ of small/medium jalapeno, seeded and ribs removed
- the juice of ½ lemon
- ½ tsp salt (or to taste)
- ½ tsp granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp ground pepper (or to taste)
- 3 Romaine Hearts (washed, dried, and chopped)
- Warm Black Bean and Corn Salsa, click here for the recipe
- colby jack cheese
- cherry tomatoes, sliced in quarters
- Tortilla Chips
- In a large saute pan partially brown ground beef over medium heat.
- Add green onions, finely chopped cilantro, and all seasonings.
- Combine all flavors and finish browning.
- Remove excess grease with a spoon if needed.
- In a blender combine avocado, cilantro, yogurt, olive oil, garlic cloves, shallots, jalapeno, lemon juice, and seasonings.
- Blend all ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- Start with a layer of crushed Tortilla Chips.
- Then add chopped romaine hearts
- Top salad with seasoned ground beef and warm black bean and corn salad.
- Garnish with colby jack cheese, cherry tomatoes, and sliced black olives
- Last but not least, dollop a big spoonful of Creamy Avocado Dressing onto the top of your salad.
Looking for that Black Bean and Corn Salsa? You can get the recipe here!
If you like this recipe you might be interested in these! Click on the picture for the full recipe.